Goodness, there’s a lot out there to get lost in. For as much as I’d like to show, there is not enough space to post it all, so here are six sites/projects/artists/mediums that I found intriguing and share-worthy. Enjoy!
1. Charles Bukowski. I love, and will always love, Charles Bukowski. Yes, I understand that I am supposed to hate him, seeing that he’s so often regarded as a misogynistic drunk. I’ve tried so hard but can’t find that side of him–he’s a lover of women and of life. I made the following short film “Spam On Rye” (my apologies for the crudeness, this is only the rough draft and is missing a couple of interviews) as a quest to find the softer side of Bukowski for a final in a documentary class last year. The poem being written is entitled “Dinosauria, We”, and though rather apocalyptic, the poem is just gorgeously drenched in simplistic style. Below the video is the text for the poem if interested. In the project of making this video I really gained an appreciation for digital poetry, as every single medium used is playing off of each of the human senses as the viewer/reader experiences the piece. Music is key; scene-cuts are key; volume, brightness, etc. I didn’t realize how hard final cut was, and to all of you who have it mastered, I give you two high fives and a Vulcan Salute.
Born like this
As the chalk faces smile
As Mrs. Death laughs
As the elevators break
As political landscapes dissolve
As the supermarket bag boy holds a college degree
As the oily fish spit out their oily prey
As the sun is masked
Born like this
Into these carefully mad wars
Into the sight of broken factory windows of emptiness
Into bars where people no longer speak to each other
Into fist fights that end as shootings and knifings
Born into this
Into hospitals which are so expensive that it’s cheaper to die
Into lawyers who charge so much it’s cheaper to plead guilty
Into a country where the jails are full and the madhouses closed
Into a place where the masses elevate fools into rich heroes
Born into this
Walking and living through this
Dying because of this
Muted because of this
Because of this
Fooled by this
Used by this
Pissed on by this
Made crazy and sick by this
The heart is blackened
The fingers reach for the throat
The fingers reach toward an unresponsive god
The fingers reach for the bottle
We are born into this sorrowful deadliness
We are born into a government 60 years in debt
That soon will be unable to even pay the interest on that debt
And the banks will burn
Money will be useless
There will be open and unpunished murder in the streets
It will be guns and roving mobs
Land will be useless
Food will become a diminishing return
Nuclear power will be taken over by the many
Explosions will continually shake the earth
Radiated robot men will stalk each other
The rich and the chosen will watch from space platforms
Dante’s Inferno will be made to look like a children’s playground
The sun will not be seen and it will always be night
Trees will die
All vegetation will die
Radiated men will eat the flesh of radiated men
The sea will be poisoned
The lakes and rivers will vanish
Rain will be the new gold
The rotting bodies of men and animals will stink in the dark wind
The last few survivors will be overtaken by new and hideous diseases
And the space platforms will be destroyed by attrition
The petering out of supplies
The natural effect of general decay
And there will be the most beautiful silence never heard
Born out of that.
The sun still hidden there
Awaiting the next chapter. (source: http://able2know.org/topic/91839-1)
2. Polaroid. Thought this one was kind of cool, too. It really shows the evolution of the polaroid over time, especially when you think about polaroid film being almost out of production today and how expensive it is when you do find it.
3. Oliver Peoples 2010 Ad Campaign. Love OP’s marketing… a lot. Had to share.
4. The Selby. So good. SO GOOD. Best interiors website!
Selby short film called ‘Rockaway Taco’: Endearing goodness. Gives you a glimpse into an alternative lifestyle centered upon the art of giving.
5. Black Cab Sessions. Absolutely Brilliant, London.
6. Arcade Fire’s New Project: TheWildernessDowntown. One last incredibly awesome thing– entirely worth the download of Google Chrome, so do it, even if you hate Arcade Fire. Go to: thewildernessdowntown.com.
Check these out, too: